Monday, August 18, 2014

A skip, a couple of jumps, one blip, and we’re there


Our flights from Minneapolis to Bishkek were unremarkable – other than travel time totaled 27 hours, including a nine-hour layover at the Moscow airport.  (We also crossed 11 time zones.)  The only “blip” we had was that while we made each connection easily, somehow my suitcase did not.  I had the dress and shoes I was going to wear to Kunduz’ wedding packed in my carry on, but Jim’s suit, our wedding presents, and all the rest of my clothes did not arrive until the day we left Bishkek.  I wore the same outfit every day for six days in a row.  But, you know what?  Clothes did not matter in the least, in terms of our enjoyment.
From the moment we stepped on Kyrgyz soil, we were welcomed, toasted, and treated like the President/First Lady of the United States.  Rysbek and Jyldyz – Kunduz’s parents - introduce us over and over as Kunduz’ American parents, and we are honored and included in the front row of all activities.  Friends and relatives of Kunduz thought that our coming from America for the wedding was amazing, and we were greeted warmly everywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment